Welcome to Ampleforth. Our community has a direct link with the pre-Reformation Benedictines. Exiled monks settled here in 1802 raising a first abbey church in 1857, before the present enlarged church was built in 1961. Today our flourishing community school houses over 600 students. Members of the community are engaged in work in the school as teachers and chaplains, in the monastery and in parishes throughout the north of England. We also run a house of studies in Oxford, St Benet’s Hall, and have a foundation in Macheke, Zimbabwe: the Monastery of Christ the Word.